Looking west from South Baldy, Kananskis Country

Looking west from South Baldy, Kananskis Country

Friday 10 June 2016

Another trip up Muppet Rock

Hiking Ha Ling

My friend Lana and I headed out to do Windtower on Friday, but the weather forecast was threatening lightning, and black clouds were massing, so we bailed, and did Ha Ling and Miners’ Peak instead. We figured that we’d just have time to get up and down again before the weather hit around 1 PM. We were right, but we must have passed fifty people who were headed up the mountain while we were finishing the descent, despite the obvious weather build-up. Most lacked proper footwear or backpacks. In the absence of backpacks, I assume they were also not carrying water, waterproofs, spare clothes, first aid, bear spray etc. I started calling Ha Ling "Muppet Rock" following a previous ascent during which I saw active litter dropping, rock throwing, and graffiti scratching. Later I thought maybe I was being unfair...but now I know that I was not. It's a Muppet magnet! The name stands...

miner's peak

Here is a picture of a squirrel. It was one of the most intelligent creatures we saw during the entire descent.

No comments: